What is AJAX?
ASP.NET AJAX Suite
At present, the ASP.NET AJAX suite consists of the following components and packages:
- A server framework - included in ASP.NET 3.5 - for building Ajax-enabled ASP.NET server controls. These components are also available for ASP.NET 2.0 in a separate package called ASP.NET 1.0 Extensions.
- ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Templates, a package with a set of Visual Studio templates for building ASP.NET AJAX applications with ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Studio 2008.
- ASP.NET AJAX Prev
Microsoft Ajax Library
- Abstraction API - Common operations on the DOM (retrieving elements, setting styles and other manipulations) are automatically translated by the library into browser-specific calls.
- Ajax - A set of client components is provided to handle Ajax requests and web-service calls.
- Application Services - The library allows accessing the ASP.NET Membership, Authentication, Roles and Profile services from the client side.
Recently, new features have been announced as part of the ASP.NET AJAX 4.0 release:
- Template Engine - Allows displaying data on the client side by using HTML templates and a custom binding notation. This approach avoids performing page rendering on the server side.
- Live Bindings - Synchronize element properties.